Make Sure Your Twin Cities Roofer Has the Right Insurance

Normally we like to write our own headlines, but we are letting the Minneapolis Star-Tribune take this one. From the September 3, 2016 edition: “Picking a roofing company? You might not get what you pay for,” tells the story of Twin Cities roofers evaluated by the undercover investigators at Twin Cities Consumers’ Checkbook. It is good reading, but a key finding from the article provides sage advice. Make sure your roofer has the right insurance and credentials.

Papers, Please

Before hiring any Twin Cities roofers, ask for three documents:

  • Proof of liability insurance—Transfer the risk of employee injury or damage to your home from your homeowner’s policy to the roofing contractor’s insurance company
  • Proof of licensure—In Minnesota you can use the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry’s contractor license lookup feature to find your contractor’s license. Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows, for example, holds license #BC010277, good through March 31, 2018.
  • Proof of bonding—The experts at Angie’s List point out that bonding is a very simple sort of insurance policy, usually required for a contractor to obtain a state license. This surety bond is the contractor’s money held in reserve by the bonding company in case the contractor fails to pay for supplies, pay employees, or damages your property. You would make a claim to the surety company to recover costs for unsatisfactory work or actual damage.

What if your roofers lack the right insurance?

HouseLogic’s experts point out some of the problems with hiring a contractor (roofer or otherwise) who lacks some basic paperwork:

  • No liability insurance—You will be stuck with costs associated with damage to your property, a hurt roofing employee, or damage to the roofer’s equipment on your property. You could also face a lawsuit from an injured employee.
  • No license—Twin Cities roofers operating without licenses put homeowners insurance at risk–your insurer could void your policy if you used an unlicensed contractor.
  • No bond—You may have to take the roofer to small claims court to recover costs for a broken windshield from a roofer’s dropped hammer. You may have to file paperwork with the State Attorney General for unsatisfactory roofing work. You could have a lien attached to your property by the local supplier who sold your contractor building materials.

If you want the services of a professional, fully insured Twin Cities roofers, turn to Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows, Inc. We are licensed, bonded, and insured to protect our business and your home. Contact Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows today!

Scroll to Top