In the Twin Cities area, many dealers sell and install new windows. The range of replacement windows Minneapolis homeowners can tap for their own homes is wide: big-box home improvement store windows; cheap, mass-produced vinyl windows; custom-made wood frame windows. Replacement windows Minneapolis homeowners enjoy most are identifiable by a few stellar qualities.
What qualities set investment-grade replacement windows apart from cheap, flimsy windows? Minnesota can be hard on building materials; poorly made replacement windows can cost you a lot of money in lost energy and high fuel bills over the years. How can you know what makes the good replacement windows Minneapolis homeowners prize?
A lot of the homework has been done for you. Begin by checking the National Fenestration Rating Council’s (NFRC) four numbers for the windows you are considering:
- Solar Heat Gain Coefficient— Look for low numbers that measure how well a window can resist unwanted heat gain, important during summer cooling season
- U-Factor — Again, look for low numbers measuring how well a window can keep heat from escaping from the inside of a room
- Visible Transmittance — Here you want high numbers that measure how well a window lights your home with natural daylight
- Air Leakage — Again low numbers matter here, measuring how much air will enter a room through a window
Another label to look for in the kind of superior replacement windows Minneapolis and St. Paul homeowners value is the Energy Star label. This federal program identifies products that save you money, reduce energy consumption and lower greenhouse gas emissions.
Also look for windows that block fabric-fading ultraviolet (UV) light. The window glass can still transmit visible light while reflecting up to 74 percent of UV rays.
Minnesota winters are wicked, sure, but windows can also help keep you cool in summer. Proper insulation combines a way to prevent air infiltration while avoiding moisture build-up. Look for key details:
- Proper spacers — to provide air insulation
- Solar control window film —to reflect infrared radiation
Nonmetal spacers will transmit less heat energy; vinyl-clad wood frames will likewise perform better than metal frames.
Stellar performance and long-lasting energy efficiency can only come from stellar windows. Turn to the experts at Midwest Exteriors Plus Inc. for the industry’s best choices in replacement windows, installed by our trained technicians. You will enjoy energy savings and a comfortable home for years to come.