Most roofs will last a long time, especially if homeowners schedule regular maintenance with a professional roofing contractor and keep a close eye on their roof’s condition. All roofs need to be replaced eventually, however. Especially when repairs become cost prohibitive and it’s clear a new roof is necessary. The question is, how long should your roof last? Also, how can you tell when it’s time to replace your existing roof? Here are some things to consider.
1. How do I know it’s time for a new roof?
How long your roof lasts depends on many variables, including age, type of shingles, and consistency of maintenance. Other signs include a leaking roof (causing significant damage), rot, the condition of the shingles, as well as the condition of your roof’s valleys.
2. What is a roof’s general lifespan?
- Metal roofs – Roofs made of aluminum or steel can last 50 years or longer. Copper and zinc roofs may last twice as long
- Asphalt shingles – The typical lifespan of an asphalt-shingled roof is 20 to 25 years.
- Fiberglass shingles – Fiberglass shingles should last at least as long as asphalt shingles. They come with many advantages, including superior fire protection and a lower up-front cost.
- Cedar shingles – In general, cedar shingles will last 18-22 years. They could last longer if they’re medium hand-split roofs or heavy hand-split roofs.
- Slate shingles – A slate roof can last over 100 years.
- Flat roofs – A flat roof’s longevity depends on the type of material covering it. An asphalt-based roof should last 10 years, while rubber roofing lasts much longer.
3. Other reasons for getting a new roof
You may decide to get a new roof because of other factors, such as wanting to upgrade your existing roof with better, energy saving shingles. Or, you want to improve your home’s curb appeal by replacing an old, worn roof.
4. Working with a trusted local roofer
Developing a strong working relationship with a trustworthy local roofer is essential, including when deciding whether it’s time to replace your roof. A quality roofing contractor will give you an honest assessment of your roof’s needs and what steps you need to take.
Midwest Exteriors Plus is a trusted contractor serving the Minneapolis area for over 40 years. They’ll help you maintain, repair, and replace your roof when it’s time.