Spring thunderstorms that produce hail can inflict significant damage on your roof when they move through the Twin Cities. While you can’t predict or prevent a hail storm, it’s helpful to learn how to minimize potential harm to your roof, and the steps to take to get any damage fixed promptly.
Before Stormy Weather Arrives
- Check the details of your homeowner’s insurance policy so you know the specific coverage it provides for hail damage. It’s also advisable to contact the company and ask about their claim procedures so you can get the process started if necessary.
- Schedule a roof inspection with a reputable Minneapolis roofing contractor like Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows. We have the expertise to properly assess your roof’s condition and advise you about necessary repairs to ensure it’s in the best possible condition when spring storms arrive.
- If you’re planning a roof replacement and you want to reduce the risk of hail damage, look for durable materials rated by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) for impact resistance.
- When choosing shingles, look for products with a UL 2218 Class 3 or 4 rating. These shingles are better able to withstand hail impact, which helps minimize the loss of granules that shield the substrate from wind, rain and the sun’s UV rays.
- If you opt for metal roofing, look for UL2218 Class 4 products. Keep in mind that while these rated metal roofing materials withstand punctures, hail can still leave unsightly dents and dings on the surface.
Tips for Getting Hail Damage Repaired
It’s vital to get a hail damaged roof repaired quickly to prevent further harm to the roofing materials or water intrusions into your home.
- After the storm has passed, walk around outside the house to check for signs of damage. Look for impact dents on your metal roofing, or dislodged shingle granules on the ground and fresh-looking bare areas on your shingles.
- In the attic, check the underside of the roof for signs of leaks like damp areas of sheathing and dripping water.
- Have a knowledgeable Minneapolis roofing contractor thoroughly inspect the roof. At Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows, we’re experienced in identifying hail damage and have the training and skills to make any needed repairs.
- Once we’ve confirmed that your roof has sustained hail damage, contact your insurance company right away to file a claim.
For expert advice about hail damage, or to schedule a roof inspection, contact us at Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows.