When the roof on your home needs replacement, it’s easy to get caught up comparing all your shingle options. Although choosing the right shingle is important, your shingles are just the most visible element of a complex system that’s comprised of multiple, equally-important components. If you want to give your home total protection, what you really need is a complete roofing system.
What is a Total Protection Roofing System?
Owens Corning, one of the roofing industry’s most respected and well-known brands, developed the Total Protection Roofing System based on their decades of experience and first-hand knowledge of what it takes to defend a home from the elements. The most effective protection combines the following three components to create a unified roof system:
- Underlayment and ice/water barrier. Just as the name implies, underlayment goes beneath your shingles to provide an extra layer of protection to keep wind-driven rain from reaching the roof’s wood decking. Ice and water barrier is used to seal vulnerable areas like the valleys and around the dormers, vents, skylights, chimney and the eaves, which are weak points where backed-up water can cause damage if ice dams form.
- Shingles. Starter shingles used along the rakes and eaves create a clean line and good adhesion for the shingles used on the main portions of your roof, while hip/ridge shingles are installed along the roof peak to provide added protection and give the roof a finished look.
- Attic ventilation. Intake soffit vents and exhaust ridge vents ensure ample air exchange in the attic to prevent heat and moisture damage to the roof system’s interior components. They also help minimize temperature differences that can cause ice dams and premature roof deterioration.
Benefits of a Total Protection System
An experienced Owens Corning Platinum Preferred contractor in Minneapolis is your best source of advice on the many advantages of a Total Protection Roofing System, but some of the key benefits it offers include:
- A longer-lasting roof that’s more resistant to weather and wind damage.
- Less risk of leaks and water intrusions that can cause attic and interior damage.
- Better attic temperature control for improved energy efficiency and greater comfort.
- The option of adding a top-of-the-line warranty that gives you lifetime coverage on materials and workmanship.
Contact us today at Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows, your Owens Corning Platinum Preferred contractor serving Minneapolis, to learn more about the Total Protection Roofing System and its many benefits.