Do you think you need a new Minneapolis roof replacement? Are you aware of exactly what to look for? The Minneapolis area has some heavy winter and summer storms where ice, snow, or driving rain can cause all types of damage. Start inside your attic with the following check list!
Inspecting Your Roof
- Are the interior roof deck boards sagging anywhere?
- Is there any visible water damage?
- Are there any dark trails or spots visible?
- Can you see outside light shining through the roof?
- Can you feel any strong drafts or air?
Once you are done looking inside the attic, head outside with your binoculars and take a peek at the exterior roof surface. There is no need to get on a ladder to find obvious issues.
- Damaged or missing shingles or tiles
- Loose or damaged material around roof vents, pipes and chimneys, etc.
- Excessive amounts of shingle granules in the gutters
- Moisture or algae growth
While you can do a basic inspection, a qualified roof company can determine whether a roof replacement or repairs is needed. If you see one or more of the points listed above, make a list. When you are inside your attic and outside, snap some photos with your cell phone or digital camera. You can use these photos to compare with the roofing contractors information. A roof replacement is a major expense, you will want a roofing contractor who is honest and has a top reputation.
Choosing a Warranty
Roofing products and systems have varying levels of both quality and warranties. If possible, try to purchase a warranty that is above the basic level. Yes, it is more expensive, but the future benefits are worth the investment.
Warranty Checkoff Points:
- Most standard warranties cover 5-10 years, but some of the better quality roofing products and roofing systems extend the warranty up to 50 years.
- Minneapolis/St. Paul does get its share of strong storms – including, sometimes, tornado force winds. The higher level warranties will cover wind protection up to 130 miles per hour. The labor for any repairs, contractor labor, tear off costs and disposal costs are all points that may be included in a roof replacement warranty.
- Contractors have their own warranties to guarantee their workmanship, as well. These cover from 5-20 years depending on the roofing system they install.
There are many quality roofing materials available for contractors to install. The warranties offered by major roof product companies apply only to certified installation contractors. Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows has certifications with all products they install.
Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows Plus, has been in the area for over 40 years providing quality Minneapolis roof replacements. They know their products and make sure that their teams are up to date when it comes to training. Contact Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows for information on the warranties available on all their products.