The color seems to have faded. Strange dark stains have appeared. Somehow it also looks dusty and dirty. If you are unhappy with your Twin Cities home’s siding, you already know the answer to this question: When does siding need to be replaced? When you can no longer stand it!
That’s Some List
Home siding can develop problems throughout its long lifespan. You can come up with quite a list of issues to steer you towards new siding:
- Cracked, loose panels or pieces—Any siding that is no longer “locked-in” to the siding around it is a trouble sign; replacement needs to be sooner rather than later
- Icky paint—Sure, we can say more polite words like “faded,” “peeling,” or “discolored.” But if the paint on your siding is just plain icky, replacement is the word you are looking for
- Warped elements—Warped panels or boards indicate temperature stress and, probably, water damage
- Rot—If your home is old enough to have clapboard wood siding, rot is always a problem and never far away
- Holes—Holes from pests, children, fallen branches, or remodeling projects gone awry all lessen the integrity of your siding and lower your home’s energy efficiency
- Growths—Algae, mold, and mildew can all attack and spread across your siding; telltale signs are black, green, or brown staining, streaks, and mottled areas
- Energy bills—Rising energy costs could be due to the inferior insulation value of your home’s older siding; modern siding is available with foam backer board to boost your R-value and lower your energy bills
No part of your home is self-healing. You may think siding would simply shed water, even when damaged. That is not true; siding can leak, can rob your home’s walls of insulation value, and drop your home’s curb appeal.
Siding must be repaired or replaced if it is damaged, aged beyond its lifespan, or neglected. Every week you leave siding in sad shape, you risk more and more of your home’s value.
Your local, friendly siding contractor can help you with the tough decisions:
- Siding choice
Siding replacement can move swiftly. Once completed, you can again have peace of mind and pride of place, knowing your Twin Cities home is a showpiece. For homeowners in the Twin Cities area, Midwest Roofing Siding & Windows stands ready to provide a complete range of exterior home services, including beautiful new siding. Contact us today to see all that we can offer!