In the Twin Cities metro area, there is a temperature fluctuation of over 100 degrees between July and January. This thermal variation can really test the quality of the materials and workmanship on your roof. When heavy wind and rain is added to the mixture, each homeowner should take preventative measures to protect their homes from damage.
The Importance of Roof Inspections
Regular roof inspections can catch small problems before they become big ones. Early detection of damaged areas can help you avoid large, costly roof repairs. This is especially important after a major storm rolls through. Wind gusts can lift your shingles, breaking the seal, and driving water between the layers, along with leaves, branches, and other debris. Flying debris can cause shingles to tear, split, or break leaving areas of your roof unprotected to the elements.
Common Signs of Damage
Calling in a professional roofing contractor is one of the most efficient and inexpensive ways to ensure that your roof remains in top condition. Here are a few of the more common signs of damage that a contractor will look for that may indicate a need for repairs or other maintenance.
- Broken shingles or pieces of shingles in your yard
- Broken tree limbs
- Visible shingle or gutter damage
- A large amount of granules from your shingles at the ends of the downspouts
- Water seepage in the attic
- Water stains on your ceiling or drywall
- Damage to shed, gazebos, and hot tub covers
- Visible window cracks or caulking displacement
- Tears in window or door screens
- Dents or damage to exterior HVAC units
- Broken fence posts or missing pickets
- Porch or garage light damage or breakage
If you notice any of these problems, take time to contact Midwest Exteriors Plus. Our great team of contractors will assess the condition of your current roofing system and offer valuable feedback and honest quotes to help you determine which route of repair, maintenance, or replacement is best for you.
Originally published: July 23, 2013
Information updated: August 18, 2015