Fall is an ideal time to consider indoor remodeling. Two home improvement project ideas we at Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows, Inc. are sure will add beauty and charm to your home are living room and kitchen facelifts.
Living Room: Energize with Color
The living room is prominent in home improvement project ideas because guests spend time getting to know your family in what is often the most formal room in your house. You can maintain the clean lines, crisp formality and balanced feel of a living room while still adding a fall warmth to the room.
Bright red and orange accents—or any colors on the warm end of the spectrum—bring a cozy charm to the room. No need to sell off furniture or throw away area rugs, just consider how a few warm tones can add accents and vibrancy to your existing arrangements:
- Russet or Burnt Sienna pillows and throws on a neutral couch
- Repaint a prominent wall in Chinese Red, Burgundy, or rust
- Add red lacquered boxes on end tables
- Repaint door frames and window casings in American Rose, Vermilion or Fire Brick high gloss paint
- Add wainscoting for a dignified look, with very pale pink above, and a natural, dark red stained wood below the trim
Of course, you can also choose to go big, by keeping neutral-colored walls and inviting a comfy red leather couch into the space, or by adding windows to capture sunsets, set off with Flame Red drapes backed with light-colored sheers.
Kitchen: Cabinet Creativity
If your kitchen cabinet doors and frames are structurally sound, refinishing the cabinets is one of the best home improvement project ideas for any budget.
Removing the doors is easy; so is changing out hardware. New hinges and pulls bring highlights and warmth, but do not stop there. Strip the old doors and think creatively:
- With light-colored cabinets, consider rich warm browns and earth tones in stains or paints
- Add molding, such as half-round or even a base cap as a raised frame, to the fronts of plain cabinets
Instead of trying to strip cabinet frames in place, consider lightly sanding them, then finishing in a dark tone.
When plans get ambitious and you get stressed out, remember the professionals at Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows, Inc., because we do interiors, too. Contact us today to see how we can help give your living room or kitchen a facelift.