If your Minneapolis home is ready for a roof replacement, it’s time to consider the recycling options that are available with Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows. Instead of taking up landfill space, the old shingles from your roof can be used as a component for road construction materials, reducing the energy input required for roads.
Fortunately, recycling options are opening up for most consumable products and provides numerous benefits for consumers, the economy, and the planet as a whole. As an additional bonus and reward for the carbon-conscious, recycling is often accompanied by cost savings. Continue reading “Can We Recycle Our Roofing Shingles?”
Minnesota has a tendency to throw some weather issues at its residents that can really test the strength of their roofs. Our contractors at Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows, the best of the best in Minneapolis roofers for over 40 years, are only too familiar with what the winter storms can do. In fact, the infamous Minnesota chill is one of the main reasons why we became GAF Master Elite certified installers. Continue reading “Fend Off Winter Storm Damage With GAF Roofing”
You don’t have to be handy at fixing things in order to keep a good set of tools around. Every homeowner should have at least a basic set for doing small repairs, like tightening kitchen cabinet handles or fixing a leaky faucet. This saves you from having to call a repair contractor every time something goes wrong in your Maple Grove home. Continue reading “The Top 8 Tools to Have in Your Home”
Although you only get to cheer your favorite sports team on during their regular season, you can show your appreciation for them year-round in your Eden Prairie home. Some may jump at this opportunity to hang pennants across the walls and set bobbleheads or other knick-knacks in prominent places around the home. Other sports fans, however, may be attracted by a more subtle, tasteful way to decorate the interior of their home with team spirit. Continue reading “Show Your Team Spirit Tastefully in Your Home”
One of the most often overlooked energy savers is insulated doors. Even if your Eden Prairie home is well insulated, you could still be losing a great deal of air through a door that does not fit properly or provide adequate protection. Insulated doors are a great choice to consider when you need to replace your doors and increase energy savings in your home. Continue reading “Choose Insulated Doors for Added Energy-Efficiency”
When the cold weather hits, don’t get caught off guard with drafty windows. Keeping those Maple Grove winds outside where they belong is as simple as caulking and weatherstripping. These methods are the easiest and most cost-effective ways to make your windows more energy-efficient. If your windows are old and beyond repair, window replacement is an option to explore. Here are some ideas from Midwest Exterior Plus for ways to winterize your windows: Continue reading “Winter’s Coming! Are Your Windows Ready?”
With Halloween just around the corner, children everywhere are picking out their costumes and getting ready for their big night. Although Halloween is meant to be a fun and exciting holiday, it’s important for Twin Cities parents to protect their children from any possible harm. These helpful tips, brought to you by your Twin Cities area contractors here at Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows, will help to enhance your child’s safety on Halloween night. Continue reading “4 Tips for Trick-or-Treating Safely This Halloween”
‘Tis the season for trick-or-treaters! If you’re a Minneapolis homeowner, celebrating Halloween means more than just stocking up on candy. Your entryway and front door must invite goblins toward it, ease their parents’ safety concerns, and keep up your curb appeal among festive neighbors. Continue reading “Prepare Your Front Door for Goblins”
Saving energy and saving money are two topics that are of interest to homeowners. If you are a resident of Minneapolis, the winter months can mean big heating bills as you try to keep your home and family warm. One big problem that we see homeowners having is heat loss. When your home is leaking heat, your furnace needs to work even harder to keep your home at a comfortable temperature.
What Causes Homes To Leak Heat?
There are a few primary causes, and most of them are a fairly easy fix. Keep your eyes out for these problems:
- Windows and doors are a major source of heat lose. Doors and windows can warp over time creating a gap at the top or bottom, and old or non-existent weather stripping lets a lot of heat out and cold air in. Doing the “dollar test” can tell you if you need new weatherstripping. Close the door or window on a dollar bill and if you can’t pull out the dollar, you are fine. If you can pull it out or if you see daylight through the gap, you need to fix it! Installing new weather stripping around doors and in windows can make a significant difference.
- Single-pane windows are a definite problem. Installing energy-efficient windows with double or triple panes is a good investment, and will cut down on heat lose. Heavy drapes are another way to help retain heat, if you can’t afford new windows right now.
- Plumbing and wiring can be a cause, especially in older homes. Check around plumbing and wiring carefully for gaps that can be causing drafts and leaks. Sealing them with spray foam, insulation, or caulking helps. Don’t forget about electrical outlets and switches which can let in cold air. Insert foam gaskets to insulate them.
- Attic holes are another culprit. These are usually for accommodating pipes, ducts, and vents into your attic, but there can be gaps present that cause large amounts of heat to leak out. These should be sealed with spray foam or caulking.
- Recessed lighting in insulated ceilings is another overlooked cause of heat leakage. High-heat flexible caulking can fix this.
- Lack of insulation is another problem. If you have no, or insufficient, insulation underneath your shingle roofing, not only are you leaking heat, but you can also end up with ice build-up on your roof. If you find your attic is poorly insulated, shingle roofing company Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows can help.
It is surprising how many ways heat can leak out of your home and let cold air in. Fixing these leaks can help keep your home comfortable all season long and save you money, too.
Insulation is a must if you want to save energy during a Minneapolis winter. Contact Midwest Roofing, Siding & Windows to have a free inspection done of the insulation underneath your home’s shingle roofing.
When contemplating a roof replacement, a kitchen remodel, or paint, every Twin Cities homeowner should know the truth about renovation. There are lot of myths out there. Here are 4 of them and the truth about each. Continue reading “4 Myths About Renovation: Know the Truth”